B. Jack Pan
Citizenship: United States
Angel List: https://angel.co/byjpan
All links: https://linktr.ee/byjpan
Scripps Institution of Oceanography | University of California, San Diego
· Oceanography, Doctorate (2014 – 2020)
Scripps Institution of Oceanography | University of California, San Diego
· Marine Biology, Master of Science (2014 – 2016)
University of California, Irvine
· Earth & Environmental Sciences, Bachelor of Science (2009 – 2013)
· Minor: Global Sustainability
Graduate Researcher, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego (09/2014 – present)
· Ph.D. Dissertation focuses on understanding meltwater characteristics and their optical features in Antarctic coastal oceans/fjord ecosystems, utilizing machine learning techniques and big-data approaches to understand the impact of environmental change on phytoplankton community composition, and its long-term effects over the Antarctic shelf.
· The dissertation project utilized a multidisciplinary approach and combined multiple techniques including field surveys, satellite remote sensing, modeling, and data science.
· Managed the logistics of multiple Antarctic research expeditions as well as maintained multiple laboratories on SIO campus.
Team Lead/Consultant, NASA DEVELOP at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (06 – 08/2014)
· Managed project development for multiple end users and stakeholders from academia, governmental regulatory agencies, NGOs, and the private sector. Regular reporting to DEVELOP Office at NASA HQ in Washington D.C..
· Researched the feasibility of utilizing multiple satellite sensors to detect and monitor treated wastewater plumes during Hyperion Wastewater Treatment Plant and Orange Counties Sanitation District’s diversion events.
· Processed data from SAR-Radarsat-1, ASAR & MERIS-Envisat, PALSAR-ALOS, ASTER-Terra, MODIS-Aqua & Terra, HICO-ISS, TIRS-Landsat 8 to project sea surface temperature, chl-a, and surface roughness data.
Consultant, NASA DEVELOP at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (01 – 04/2013)
· Researched the feasibility of utilizing Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) to identify and locate Sargassum in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean to better understand and help Bluefin Tuna conservation efforts.
· Processed and Analyzed Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar (ASAR) imagery from Envisat and ocean color data from MODIS-Aqua and MERIS.
Lab Assistant, Moore’s Group, UCI Dept. of Earth System Science (02/2012 – 08/2014)
· Processed and analyzed data retrieved from Aqua MODIS and ETOPO bathymetry to monitor the Austral summer phytoplankton bloom between 2002 and 2013 in the vicinity of the Kerguelen plateau.
· Modified IDL plotting routines for analyzing model output and remote sensing data; users can define any region of interest in the world’s ocean, in both 3-degree and 1-degree model grids. Developed model studies for remote sensing projects.
Research Assistant, Rignot’s Group, UCI Dept. of Earth System Science (04 -- 08/2013)
· Compiled and analyzed remote sensing data from MODIS to aid the preparation of the research group’s Greenland expedition.
· Monitored sea ice conditions in the expedition’s path to assist the effort in guiding vessel onboard operations.
· Established a fast delivery system for delivering near-real-time data to the research team in the field.
Undergraduate Researcher, Pataki Lab, UCI Dept. of Earth System Science (09/2009 –01/2012)
“The influence of N source and fertilizer application on growth of a tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes sanguinea” (2011)
· Used nitrogen stable isotope analysis to investigate the nitrogen cycle of carnivorous plants and their physiological response to nutrient addition.
· Responsibilities included writing funding proposals, collecting plant samples in the research greenhouse.
“The linkage between native habitat and plant water use in Acacia species” (2009)
· Used carbon stable isotope analysis to investigate water use habit of various Acacia species in the LA arboretum.
Undergraduate Researcher, Green IT Lab, California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology/UCI School of Information & Computer Science (09/2011 – 03/2013)
The Plant Guild Composer/Food Forest Project
· A multidisciplinary project that attempted to create a functional ecosystem of urban food forest by integrating information technology, remote sensing, and ecology.
· Calibrated programmers’ work on ecological concepts and assisted conceptual artist with UI design concepts.
· Contributed cartography on local ecosystems; created maps of local environmental variables to aid site analysis.
The Causality Project
· The collaborative project aimed to provide a participatory environment where users could identify environmental issues and attach causal links to these issues.
· Populated project database, and assisted programmers to incorporate earth and environmental science concepts.
Research Volunteer, Bryant’s Lab, UCI Dept. of Developmental & Cell Biology (06 -- 12/2013)
· Provided assistance to conducting microscopy on local plankton species.
· Part of an effort to compile a natural history inventory of Orange County, California.
Teaching Assistant, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD (2015, 2016, 2019, 2020)
SIO3: Life in the Oceans (Prof. Octavi Aburto), SIO134: Introduction to Biological Oceanography (Prof. Mike Landry)
· Assisted the instructors during lecture and record-keeping duties.
· Graded homework and exams.
· Led course’s weekly or bi-weekly discussions and review sessions.
Teaching Assistant, UCI COSMOS Program (Summer 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
· Assisted the instructors during lecture and field work.
· Assisted students to conduct marine life inventory, plankton tow/identification, and field survey.
· Taught students basic concepts in marine biology and ecology.
· Prepared experiment materials for the students’ research projects.
Course Instructor, University Study 7: Environmental Crisis Studies (01/2010 – 06/2013)
· Designed and developed the lesson plan and assembled lecture/discussion material.
· Responsibility included teaching the weekly seminar, engaging students, and grading students’ work.
· The class was offered to all UCI students for official elective units.
Teaching Assistant, Earth System Science 138: Remote Sensing (01 – 06/2013)
· Assisted students to better understand various remote sensing techniques and their implications.
· Assisted students during lab sessions to learn various remote sensing software and work with databases to prepare for their final projects.
Lesson Planning Consultant, Ardent Academy (01 – 08/2014)
· Designed and developed lesson plans on experimental physics research programs for middle school students.
· Reported to the academy director on development progress, and assisted with the program's future directions.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Ocean Motion Technologies, Inc. (2016 -- present)
· Formed the technical and business teams, board of directors, and advisory council.
· Responsible for system requirement assessment and managing business operations.
· Led the core team on grant proposals and represented the company at business events & competitions.
Founder, Ecojar Lab (2008 – 2014)
· Produced and sold fully self-contained terrariums as ecological art and science education tools.
Co-Producer, Countdown UCI at KUCI Radio Station (2011)
· Countdown UCI is a radio show dedicated to insightful news, discussions and guests from the University of California, Irvine.
· Assisted with producing the show’s content, learned to use multiple audio/visual equipment, produced supplementary podcasts
· Utilized targeted advertisement on various social media and assessed community opinions through engagement analytics.
· Pan, B.J. (2020) “The Impact of Seasonal Environmental Variables on Phytoplankton Ecology at the Antarctic Ice-Ocean Boundary: Studies through Field Work, Numerical Models, Data Science and Machine Learning. Doctorate Dissertation. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego. Submitted.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Barton, A.D., and Orona, A.J. (2020) “Environmental Drivers Modulate Phytoplankton Community Seasonal Succession in the Western Antarctic Peninsula”. In Prep.
· Forsch, K., Pan, B.J. , Reynolds, R.A., Koestner, D., Barbeau, K., and Stramski, D. (2020) “The Optical and Chemical Properties of Antarctic Glacial Meltwater”. In Prep.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M, Forsch, K., Manck, L., and Barbeau, K. (2020) “Nutrient Ratio and Phytoplankton Uptake Rate in nearshore Antarctic Waters.” In Prep.
· Mascioni, M., Almandoz, G.O., Ekern, L., Pan, B.J, Vernet, M. (2020) “Microplanktonic diatom assemblages dominated the primary production in an Antarctic fjord.” Journal of Marine Systems. Submitted.
· Pan, B., and Moore, J.K. (2020) “Analysis of the Variations in Chlorophyll Concentration in the Vicinity of the Kerguelen Plateau.” In Prep.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Manck, L., Forsch, K., Ekern, L., Mascioni, M., Barbeau, K, Almandoz, G., and Orona, A.J. (2020) “Environmental Drivers of Phytoplankton Taxonomic Composition in an Antarctic Fjord.” Progress in Oceanography 183: 102295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2020.102295.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Reynolds, R.A., and Mitchell, B.G. (2019) “The optical and biological properties of glacial meltwater in an Antarctic fjord.” PLoS ONE 14(2): e0211107. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0211107.
· Gierach, M., Holt, B., Trinh R., Pan, B., and Rains, C. (2016) “Satellite Detection of Wastewater Diversion Plumes in Southern California.” Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 186:171-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2016.10.012.
· Pan, B.J. (2020) “Glacial Discharge and its Impact on Phytoplankton Community Composition in a Western Antarctic Fjord and Continental Shelf.” SCAR 2020 Online. Poster.
· Vernet M., Pan B.J., Forsch K., Manck L., Barbeau K. (2020). “The nitrate-to-dissolved-iron ratio in West Antarctica coastal waters.” SCAR 2020 Online. Talk.
· Mascioni, M., Almandoz G., Ekern L., Pan B.J., and Vernet M. (2020). “Phytoplankton assemblages in an Antarctic fjord: composition, diversity and productivity.” SCAR 2020 Online. Talk.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Manck, L., Forsch, K., Ekern, L., Mascioni, M., Barbeau, K., Almandoz, G.O., and Orona, A.J. (2020) “Glacial Discharge and its Impact on Phytoplankton Taxonomic Composition in an Antarctic Fjord.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2020. Talk.
· Vernet, M., Kozlowski, W.A., Pan, B.J., Cusick, A., Mascioni, M., Garibotti, I.A. (2020) “Variability in Diatom Abundance and Diversity Determined by Sea Ice Dynamics.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2020. Poster.
· Weiss, E., Vernet, M., Cape, M.R., Pan, B.J., Mitchell B.G. (2020) “The Distribution of Mycosporine-like Amino Acids in Phytoplankton Across a Southern Ocean Transect.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2020. Poster.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M. (2018) “Small Phytoplankton Dominate Community Size Structure in an Antarctic Fjord.” SCAR, Polar 2018. Poster.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., and Barton A.B. (2018) “Coastal Phytoplankton Community in an Antarctic Fjord System.” UCSD FISP Symposium 2018. Poster.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M. (2018) “The Optical Characteristics and Spatial Distribution of Meltwater in an Antarctic fjord, Andvord Bay.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2018. Poster.
· Forsch, K., Manck, L., Ekern, L., Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Barbeau, M. (2018) “Links Between Sources of Iron and Organic Iron-binding Ligands to the Supply of Cryospheric Iron to Coastal West Antarctic Peninsula.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2018. Poster.
· Ekern, L., Vernet, M., Pan, B.J., Cape, M. (2018) “Assessing seasonal primary production via macronutrient deficits in a high latitude fjord system.” AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, 2018. Poster.
· Pan, B.J., Vernet, M., Reynolds, R. (2017) “The Optical Characteristics of Meltwater in an Antarctic Fjord, Andvord Bay.” Gordon Search Conference/Seminar on Polar Marine Biology. Poster.
· Pan, B., Rains, C., and Trinh, R. (2014) “Remote Sensing Detection of Wastewater Plumes to Assess Public Water Quality in Los Angeles and Orange Counties.” Highlight Presentation. NASA Headquarter DEVELOP Program Showcase. Talk.
· Pan, B., and Moore, J.K. (2014) “Analysis of the Variations in Phytoplankton Blooms in the Vicinity of Kerguelen Plateau.” AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting. Talk.
· Norton, J., Nayebaziz, S., Burke, B., Pan, B., and Tomlinson B. (2014) “Plant Guild Composer: An Interactive Online System to Support Back Yard Food Production.” CHI Conference. Talk.
· Pan, B., and D. Pataki (2011) "The influence of N source and fertilizer application on growth of a tropical pitcher plant, Nepenthes sanguinea.” UROP Symposium. Talk.
· Pan, B., C. Goedhart, and D. Pataki (2010) “The linkage between native habitat and plant water use in acacia species.” UROP Symposium. Talk.
· Traverso, M. Boarman, R., and Pan, B. (2013) “Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Decision Support for Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Population Assessment and Management in the Gulf of Mexico.” NASA DEVELOP Technical Report (internal).
· Pan, B., Miu, J. (2013) “Utilizing Ocean Iron Fertilization as a Climate Change Intervention Method: Science, Feasibility, and Economics.” UCI Dept. of Earth System Science.
· Pan, B. (2013) “An Assessment of Artificial Ocean Iron Fertilization as a Climate Emergency Response and Intervention Program.” UCI Dept. of Earth System Science.
· Pan, B. (2012) “The Effect of Iron Fertilization on Marine Primary Productivity: Cause of Global Temperature Change.” UCI Dept. of Earth System Science.
· Cornell University, Satellite Remote Sensing Training Program. Instructor: Bruce Monger (2016).
· NASA & University of Maine, Calibration & Validation for Ocean Color Remote Sensing (“the ocean optics summer course”); instructors (alphabetical): Emmanuel Boss (coordinator), Ivona Cetinic, Curt Mobley, Mary Jane Perry, Collin Roesler, Ken Voss, Jeremy Werdell. (Summer, 2015).
· UCSD Rady School of Management, Micro-MBA Certificate (Summer, 2017).
· NSF RAPID Field Campaign (to Eastern Antarctic Peninsula/Weddell Sea) in collaboration with the Korea Polar Research Institute (KOPRI) on IBRV ARAON (Mar. – May 2018)
· NSF FjordEco Field Campaign, Season 2 (to Western Antarctic Peninsula) on RVIB Palmer (03 – 05/2016)
· NSF FjordEco Field Campaign, Season 1 (to Western Antarctic Peninsula) on R/V Gould (11/2015 – 01/2016)
· SIO/UCSD Deep Sea Biology Cruise (to Southern California Bight) on R/V Sprout (Nov. 2015)
· NASA/UMaine Field Work Cruise, Optics & Satellite Ocean Color Validation (to Maine Coastal Ocean) on R/V Ira C. (Summer 2015)
· SIO/UCSD Biological Oceanography Cruise (to Southern California Bight) on R/V Sprout (Oct. 2014)
· Speaker, "Instrumentation Application in the Polar Regions." Marine Technology Society Evening Lecture Series (2019).
· Speaker, Scripps Polar Center Inaugural All-Hands Seminar. “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Polar Ecosystems in a Changing Environment: An Overview” (2019).
· @FjordPhyto on FjordEco research expedition, social media outreach (2015 & 2016)
· Scripps Open House, Polar research exhibit booth (2016)
· Student Steering Committee, SIO Sandbox (formerly “H-Lab Makerspace”) (2019)
· Mentor, Peer Mentor Program, SIO, UCSD (2017)
· Student Search Committee for Polar Science Faculty Candidate, SIO UCSD (2016)
· Student Coordinator, Biological Oceanography/Ecology Weekly Seminar Series (2015-2016)
· DOD Antarctica Service Medal
· DOE SBIR Phase I (2020)
· CalSEED Award (2018)
· Herrider Family Fellowship (2019)
· UCSD Frontier of Innovation Scholarship Program (2017)
· Robert H. Kieckhefer Endowed Coastal Studies Fund (2017)
· The Casner Family Foundation Fellowship (2014 – 2015)
· Robert L. Cody Memorial Fellowship (2014 – 2015)
· Henry L. and Grace Doherty Fellowship (2014 – 2015)
· Alan and Nora Jafffe Fellowship (2014 – 2015)
· Krinsk Research Advancement Initiative (KRAI) (2014 – 2015)
· COSMOS College Access Scholarship (2009 – 2011)
· UCI UROP Research Fellowship (2011)
· UCI UROP Research Grant (2010)
· UCI SURP Research Fellowship (2010)
· California Nobel Laureate Dinner, UC Irvine COSMOS Rep. (2010)
· California Nobel Laureate Dinner, Presenter/COSMOS Alumni Rep. (2008)
· Dean’s Honor’s List, University of California, Irvine
· Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2017 -- present)
· Member, American Geophysical Union (AGU) (2013 -- present)
· Member, The Oceanography Society (TOS) (2015 -- present)
· Member, Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) (2016 – present)
· Member, The American Polar Society (2016 – present)
· Member, The Maritime Alliance (TMA) (2017 – present)
o Participant, TMA BlueTech Incubator Program (2017 – present)
· Member, Cleantech San Diego (2016 – present)
o Participant, Southern California Energy Innovation Network (2019 – present)
· Board Member, Marine Technology Society (MTS), San Diego Chapter (2017 – present)
· Member, San Diego Entrepreneur Exchange (SDEE) (2017 – present)
· Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (July 2012 -- present)
· Interdisciplinary Forum for Environmental Research, UC San Diego (2015 -- present)
· Founder & President, UCI Earth System Science Club (2010 –2013)
· Co-founder & Director of Speaker Relations, TEDxUCI (2011 – 2013)
· Vice President external, UCI Sustainable Energy and Technology Club (2009 – 2013)
· Co-President, COSMOS Connect (2009 –2013)
Programming and Data Science
· Python, Tableau
· Basic knowledge in R, MatLab, IDL, HTML
· SeaDAS, NEST 4C, VISAT/BEAM
· Google Earth; basic knowledge in Google Earth Engine
· Esri GIS: ArcMap, basic knowledge in QGIS
· Ocean Data View (ODV), Java Ocean Atlas (JOA)
· ENvironment for Visualizing Images (ENVI)
· Basic knowledge in ImageJ
· AC meters (AC-9 & ACS)
· Profiling radiometer (PRR, C-OPS, HyperSAS, HyperPro)
· Plankton Microscopy
· Marine life inventory, plankton tow
· Environmental variable/site analysis
· Stable isotopic sample processing & data analysis
Design & Office Operation
· Adobe (in order of proficiency): Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere, InDesign, Audition, After Effects.
· Vyond for infographic cartoon animation
· Microsoft Office with basic knowledge in Access, iWork, and Prezi
· Teleconferencing (Zoom, Cisco, Gotomeeting, Skype)
· Proficiency in both Windows PC and Macintosh/Mac OS; Some knowledge in Linux
· Ability to work on collaborative and multidisciplinary projects
· Strong skills in visual presentation & verbal communication
· Social media outreach (targeted ads, engagement analytics)
· Indoor gardening and enclosed artificial ecosystem
· Fluency in Mandarin Chinese
· Basics in drone piloting